Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day Two

One goal that most of us share in this life is the desire to achieve true joy and lasting happiness. There is only one way to do this, and that is by being obedient to all the commandments of God..."When the Lord commands do it" was a rule in the life of the first prophet of this dispensation. May that be the motto and practice of each of us.
-- Delbert L. Stapley, Ensign Nov. 1977 Pg. 64

Read: The Snake

The Snake

A young boy was trudging along a mountain path, trying to reach his grandmother's house. It was bitter cold and wind cut like a knife. When he was within sight of his destination, he heard a rustle at his feet. Looking down, he saw a snake. Before he could move, the snake spoke to him. He said, "I'm about to die. It is too cold for me up here, and I am freezing. There is no food in these mountains, and I am starving. Please put me under your coat and take me with you." "No," replied the boy. If I pick you up, you will bite me, and your bite is poisonous." "No, no." said the snake. "If you help me you will be my best friend, I will treat you differently."

The little boy sat down on a rock for a moment to rest and think things over. He looked at the beautiful markings on the snake and had to admit that it was the most beautiful snake he had ever seen. Suddenly, he said, "I believe you, I will save you. All living things deserve to be treated with kindness." The little boy reached over, put the snake gently under his coat and proceeded toward his grandmother's house.

Within a moment, he felt a sharp pain in his side. The snake had bitten him. "How could you do this to me?" He cried, "You promised that you would not bite me if I would protect you from the bitter cold?"The snake hissed, "You knew what I was when you picked me up," and slithered away.

Questions to ponder:

· How can I follow in Christ's steps today?
· In all my decisions today I will ask, what would Christ do?
· I will hearken to promptings received.
· I will think of myself as a disciple and sister of Jesus.

Scriptures to read: 1 Peter 2:21, Abraham 1:2, Moroni 7:48

No comments:

Post a Comment